Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Transfer CHL

You are required to transfer your Concealed Handgun License (CHL) if you move to Benton County and have a CHL from another Oregon county. Transferring your CHL does not change your expiration date. Follow these steps to transfer your CHL to Benton County.

STEP ONE: Gather and Complete Required Documentation

Application for License to Carry Concealed Handgun

Complete the “Application for License to Carry Concealed Handgun”. This two-page form is part of the CHL Application Packet.

Current Concealed Handgun License

You will need to bring your current Concealed Handgun License – the one you are transferring – with you to your appointment.

Proof of Residency

You must show that you live within the boundaries of Benton County. Examples of documents accepted as proof of residency include a driver’s license with a current Benton County address or proof that you own or lease property within Benton County. For a complete listing of documents acceptable to prove residence, refer to Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 166.291.

Proof of Citizenship

You will need to provide proof of citizenship. This can be your birth certificate, passport, or appropriate INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) form.

Non-citizen, legal residents must have resided in Benton County for at least six months and have evidence of declaring their intention to become a citizen included with the application. An example of evidence of declaration includes a mailing receipt of INS Form N-400, application for naturalization, from the Immigration and Naturalization Service showing delivery of the application.

STEP TWO: Schedule an Appointment

Call (541) 766-6606 to schedule your CHL appointment. YOU MUST HAVE A SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT to submit your transfer request.

STEP THREE: Arrive for Your Appointment as Scheduled with Documents and Fees


Come to the Second Floor of the Law Enforcement Building, 180 NW 5th Street, Corvallis, for your appointment.

Fees/Payment Options

The fee to transfer a CHL is $30.00. Your expiration date will remain the same.

The fee to both transfer and renew your license for a new 4-year cycle is $90.00.

You may pay your fee with a check, debit/credit, money order, or cash. Make checks or money orders out to: “Benton County Sheriff’s Office.” If paying in cash, exact change is required.


Your fingerprints will be taken at the time of your appointment. Fingerprints are taken using a digital scanner that does not require ink.


A photo of you will also be taken at your appointment.

Need More Information?

For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please call (541) 766-6606.

Back to top